Published on October 18th, 2011 | by Derek Strickland, Contributor
Capcom Announces Devil May Cry HD Collection
Devil May Cry is a franchise that has revolutionized the realms of arcade-style hack-and-slashers, and has redefined what gamers expect from the genre itself. Capcom’s intense demon-slaying, action-packed hack-and-slash series broke new boundaries and became a critically acclaimed sensation that gamers have enjoyed for a full decade, making Dante into an instantly recognizable pop-culture icon.
Unfortunately, the only way to experience the original titles that served as the foundation for this groundbreaking franchise was to own a PlayStation console. Although Devil May Cry 4 was a multi-platform release, the early games represent a monumental shift in the action/survival horror genres, and many gamers want to experience the franchise in it’s entirety.
Now they can.
Capcom has recently announced that a new Devil May Cry HD Collection will feature the original Devil May Cry trilogy with a host of improvements including digitally re-mastered HD graphics. The collection is slated for release on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, giving Xbox owners a chance to experience the original titles in the franchise for the first time ever.
The upcoming Devil May Cry HD Collection will contain the following titles re-mastered in full high definition:
- Devil May Cry
- Devil May Cry 2
- Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening Special Edition
The HD collection retains the signature elements from the DMC franchise including the dark atmospheres and gothic architechture, combining modernized Castlevania-esque themes of horror with Capcom’s signature styles that have defined the series since it’s inception ten years ago in 2001. Despite the visual changes and enhancements, the titles will feature the classic in-game combat system with it’s unique and original gameplay mechanics and fluid physics dynamics, allowing gamers to experience the origins of Devil May Cry in their entirety.
- Iconic demon action hero returns – Play as Dante, one of the most iconic video game characters of the last decade.
- Upgraded visuals – Experience the stylish gothic action that the series is best known for in stunning HD, with updated textures and widescreen support.
- Bonus content – Devil May Cry HD Collection offers players a wealth of new content for fans and newcomers alike.
- Earn trophies and achievements – Accomplish new goals and have reasons to relive the action from the Devil May Cry series.
Capcom’s Devil May Cry HD Collection will release in early 2012 for $39.99 on Xbox 360 and PS3. For more information please visit the official website.