Published on April 29th, 2013 | by Mark Gibson, Editor/Community Manager
EA Sports Sim Predicts a New York Rangers Stanley Cup Victory
As the NHL Playoffs are set to begin next month, EA Sports ran its traditional simulation of the playoffs with NHL 13. The sim took the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup with the Rangers being crowned victorious with a six game victory.
The in-game storyline ran as follows:
- The New York Rangers win their fifth Stanley Cup in franchise history and their first since the 1993-94 Season, defeating the Chicago Blackhawks in six games.
- Rangers forward Brad Richards wins the Conn Smythe Trophy, the second of his career. Richards notched 24 points in the Playoffs to lead all players.
- Richards becomes the sixth player in NHL history to win at least two Conn Smythe Trophies joining: Roy (3), Gretzky (2), Lemieux (2), Orr (2), Parent (2)
- The Chicago Blackhawks looked unbeatable as they progressed through the rounds, winning each series in five games before falling to the Rangers in six games.
- The Western Conference saw two upsets in the opening round with the Detroit Red Wings (7) beating the Anaheim Ducks (2), while the Los Angeles Kings (5) defeated the St. Louis Blues (4).
- The Toronto Maple Leafs were eliminated in the first round of the simulation, although they did manage to take their Original Six™ rivals, the Boston Bruins, to seven games.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins, who looked to be a strong favorite to win the Stanley Cup, fell to the Rangers in seven games in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.
In addition, EA Sports has also announced the NHL players who have advanced to round two of NHL 14 Cover Vote. The original 32 selected players have been whittled down to 14:
|Bruins||Tyler Seguin||Lightning||Victor Hedman|
|Canadiens||P.K. Subban||Maple Leafs||Joffrey Lupul|
|Capitals||Nicklas Backstrom||Panthers||Kris Versteeg|
|Devils||Martin Brodeur||Penguins||Evgeni Malkin|
|Flyers||Wayne Simmonds||Rangers||Ryan Callahan|
|Hurricanes||Eric Staal||Sabres||Thomas Vanek|
|Islanders||John Tavares||Senators||Craig Anderson|
|Avalanche||Matt Duchene||Kings||Anze Kopitar|
|Blackhawks||Patrick Sharp||Oilers||Taylor Hall|
|Blue Jackets||Sergei Bobrovsky||Predators||Mike Fisher|
|Blues||Alex Pietrangelo||Red Wings||Jimmy Howard|
|Canucks||Ryan Kesler||Sharks||Logan Couture|
|Coyotes||Shane Doan||Stars||Jamie Benn|
|Ducks||Andrew Cogliano||Wild||Mikko Koivu|
|Maple Leafs||James van Riemsdyk||Sharks||Joe Thornton|
The second round of the cover vote starts today and will run through May 5. Fans can cast their vote by going to NHL.com/CoverVote. There is also an added bonus where fans can double their vote by participating in “Twitter Vote Thursdays”. Using the hash tag#NHL14CoverVote on Twitter and Instagram, fans can also use these player specific hashtags to secure a second vote. NHL 14 launches September 10 for Xbox 360 and PS3.