Published on July 25th, 2012 | by G. Bargas, Managing Editor
Celebrate the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary by Whoopin’ Folks and Playing Chess
If you are in the vicinity of Austin, Texas this weekend–then you might want to throw on the gloves for a two round match.
The anniversary tournament kicks off this weekend (July 28-29) and will feature a slew of games on top of the already combat filled tournament. The event is free to register for and the US $20 to hold your spot is refundable. So, for all of you broke tournament fighters, this might be a good thing.
The tournament will wrap up in San Francisco, CA on December 8, 2012 and will include players that qualified in the prelims. Click here for the official site and details on a tournament nearest you.
If that wasn’t enough, you could win a freakin’ car. Who ever said that playing fighting games would get you nowhere? The Street Fighter X Tekken champion will walk away with this snazzy Scion FR-S Sports Coupe.
The following titles will be included in the tournament: Street Fighter X Tekken, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
If that wasn’t enough Ryu to sooth your Haduken, the art of Street Fighter is coming to life. This time, the group iam8bit, who is famous for bringing to life the art of games, will be hosting a special event in the Los Angeles, CA area. The event, titled Combo Attack, will be held on August 3rd, 2012 and will showcase over 50 artists. There will also be a real life opportunity to put your pretty little face into the game. For all of the Combo Attack event details hit click here.
Now, for all of you sophisticated face bashers, we’ve got a refined table of kick ass that might meet your expectation of elegance. The Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Chess sets boasts a retail price of US $299.99 and has a limited production quantity of 5,000 units. Here is the full breakdown in what you can expect from this set:
- Capcom® Store Exclusive
- Limited to 5000, individually numbered pieces worldwide
- Highly-detailed silver and pewter-colored resin pieces ranging from 1.75″ to 3.25″ tall
- Each chess piece stores conveniently in a protective custom slot under the chess board when not displayed
- Large 18″x18″ smoked and sandblasted glass game board
- High-quality black wood storage case with polished chrome latch and hinges and a large Street Fighter® 25th Anniversary logo laser-etched into the lid
- Storage case doubles as playing surface with the glass board’s feet nesting safely in small holes in the case lid
- Roster includes Ryu & M. Bison (kings), Chun-Li & Juri (queens), Ken, Guile, Balrog & Vega (bishops), E. Honda,Blanka, Rolento & Akuma (knights), Dhalsim, Zangief, Sagat & Seth (rooks), Ryu’s fist & Shadaloo winged skull (pawns)
- Certificate of Authenticity
You can order the set on the official site when it releases this August. Click here for the order form.
Now that I’m done writing about all of the awesome gaming stuff I can’t afford, I’m going to go get whooped in some Street Fighter 4 and MVC3.