Bethesda Softworks

Published on November 30th, 2011 | by Ken Yarbrough, Editor

Skyrim patch 1.2 is out! Beware, it causes a few problems

Bethesda has released the much awaited version 1.2 patch. You can find a list of all the fixes that the patch brings below.

However, the patch comes with a few problems as well, most notably, the removal of “resistances” and “weaknesses”.

Despite what may be detailed on your character’s armor, or in simply their racial bonuses, the game no longer recognizes ANY elemental, poison or disease resistances. Enjoying having your Dark Elf only taking half damage from fire? Not anymore. Think your Nord can go a few rounds with an ice mage because of his 50 percent frost resistance? Think again. Oh, and that vampire you were throwing fireballs at? Yeah, fire doesn’t hurt him anymore.

This has been tested on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions, and is now being looked into by Bethesda, as you can see from the link below.

Personally, I never experienced any of the texture issues myself, as I’m running off disc, but this patch is definitely not a fix in my book. Resistances and weaknesses are too big an element of the gameplay to be removed.

PS3 users are also reporting seeing dragons flying backwards, though that has a limited affect on gameplay.

Finally, to 360 users who have already downloaded the patch, and were hoping to remove it…you can’t. Well…you can, and you can clear the cache to have an un-patched version of the game, but your current game saves require patch 1.1, and that is no longer available.

Patch notes: http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/28/skyrim-1-2-update/

Confirmation that Bethesda is looking into the resistances problem: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1295737-game-no-longer-recognizes-my-magic-resistance-after-patch/page__st__20

Tags: ,

About the Author

I'm the guy everyone loves to hate. The resident Devil's Advocate for GAMINGtruth, my words are harsh, my message serious. The gaming industry needs some big changes to keep from destroying itself.

14 Responses to Skyrim patch 1.2 is out! Beware, it causes a few problems

1. Josh S says:

Holy crap…. This is why I’m not playing the game for another few months. And I’ll probably buy used. Bethesda can’t pull this kind of crap anymore. I won’t tolerate it, and I vote with my dollars. And I love Skyrim. Rented and played for 20+ hours and can’t wait to get back in but damn it this is ridiculous.

2. Zac says:

I was having a problem where I had a quest where I had to kill a dragon. The dragon was flying backwards without an animation and I could never catch up to it. I also couldnt fast travel because the dragon was always considered close! Eventually went into a town and into a building. I then came out and fast traveled. Haven’t tried again. The other problem is that I can’t get rid of the ally for that mission. The option does not come up when I try to talk with him. He’s been following me around as I run through the thief guild. In a funny moment, we were sneaking in the shadows tailing someone and my ally was way out in the open. The mark turns around and walks right THROUGH him. Not noticing. I laughed. Much better then having him detect us : )  Kind of bummed about all the bugs, but the game is phenomenal.

• Joe says:

I’ve run into that too. I only had the game crash a couple times unpatched. I added a fan to help vent my xbox 360 and it never crashed after that. Now with the patch I have an axe that I can’t rechage with soul gems, bad rendering when I go into houses, dragons that cannot be killed, do not fight back and fly backwards etc…and it still crashes. I don’t get it. It’s like Bethesda released the patch without someone in QA looking at at. It’s a great game with a lot of content but large doesn’t always mean complicated. I’ve never had the thought to boycott a game studio but I’m on the fence now because of this. For $60 bucks I expect a 99% functioning game…and expect it to stay that way, patch or no patch.

3. Hrwhrww says:

the drgons not only fly backwards but they dont fight! which means they dont land which means no dragon souls!

4. Gnu says:

LOL can not play the game at all after the pach …. simpel this is just not good enough FIX IT

5. Jo says:

I can’t fast travel, mouse1 appears to have the same function as TAB – closes the map. TAB does nothing. Keybindings are all normal in the controls menu though. It is unplayable for me, is there a way to go back to 1.1 on Steam?

6. John Smith says:

Amazing they havn’t pulled this “patch” yet.  Surely not everyone at Bethesda is already on Christmas vacation?

7. Creed says:

I’ve had all the problems listed in this article AND when I kill a dragon, it won’t let me absorb it’s soul. It seems to me Bethesda, intentionally or otherwise, released an unfinished product and now cannot fix it.

8. Ache2243 says:

does steam just automatically download these patchs for you or do you do it manually somwhere? i am new to steam and have looked everywhere for a button to upgrade skyrim, with no luck, please let me know how this works and i will be very greatful.

9. pangsit says:

i can’t access the elder scroll 🙁 is this patch may fix this problem ??

10. Bob says:

I had the no fast travel problem and also could not Tab out of reading a book. I found that replacing “skyrim – interface.bsa” in the data folder with a previous version fixed these 2 game breaking problems. I obtained this older 33 MB file from this address. http://www.4shared.com/file/ouW5gIut/skyrim_-_interface.html
    Once you click the download, there is a 15 sec. countdown before the download starts.