Published on February 11th, 2011 | by Kole Ross, Editor
Commander Shepard Brings Home DICE Gold
There’s no shortage of awards ceremonies in our industry. While the clownish and embarrassing Spike VGAs are, regrettably, the most visible, the Interactive Achievement Awards are probably the most meaningful. The IAAs are given out at the yearly D.I.C.E. Conference, held in Las Vegas and open exclusively to members of the industry.
“Mass Effect 2” was the belle of the ball, bringing home the top honors with the “Game of the Year” trophy. In addition, the fantastic sci-fi shooter took the “Best Roleplaying Game” and “Outstanding Achievement in Story” honors.
Meanwhile, Bioware founders Drs. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk were inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame.
Other notable games were Rockstar’s “Red Dead Redemption,” which took home five awards, and Quantic Dream’s “Heavy Rain,” which won three.
The award winners are determined by a peer vote, and the ceremony represents a “… time for the games industry to gather and honor the creativity and craft that goes into game making,” says AIAS President Martin Rae.
We’ll try to ignore the fact that “Angry Birds” took home an award for “Best Casual Game,” since it’s a baffling anomaly on an otherwise stellar record of recognizing excellence in the industry.
Here is the complete list of award winners:
- Game of the Year – Mass Effect 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction – Red Dead Redemption
- Casual Game of the Year – Angry Birds HD
- Portable Game of the Year – God of War: Ghost of Sparta
- Fighting Game of the Year – Super Street Fighter IV
- Role-Playing Game of the Year – Mass Effect 2
- Sports Game of the Year – FIFA Soccer 11
- Racing Game of the Year – Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
- Adventure Game of the Year – LIMBO
- Social Networking Game of the Year – CityVille
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year – Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Action Game of the Year – Red Dead Redemption
- Family Game of the Year – Dance Central
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming – Heavy Rain
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation – God of War III
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering – Heavy Rain
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – Red Dead Redemption
- Outstanding Achievement in Story – Mass Effect 2
- Outstanding Character Performance – Red Dead Redemption’s John Marston
- Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack – Rock Band 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design – LIMBO
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play – Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition – Heavy Rain
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering – Red Dead Redemption