Published on January 5th, 2011 | by Kyle Spencer, Editor
Tiger’s Heading to Augusta
EA Sports is taking their Tiger Woods franchise to a new playing field. Sure you’ll still play traditional Tiger like you would be used to, but today EA has announced that they have partnered up with one of the biggest golf courses in the world for their next outing. EA Sports is proud to show Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012: The Masters. This will be the first time you can play the most cherished golf course in the sport, and you may notice that Tiger will not be featured on the cover. He will be included on the PS3 Exclusive Collectors Edition however.
“For more than a decade, the Masters Tournament has been the most requested and coveted feature for the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise among our fans,” said Peter Moore, president of EA SPORTS. “Pairing the number one golf video game franchise with the most prestigious golf tournament in the world is a perfect marriage and we’re thrilled to bring our fans this exciting opportunity to experience Augusta National Golf Club like never before.”
“Our sincere motivation is to draw an even greater audience to this wonderful sport and continue to inspire its growth by building off the success seen in previous versions of the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise,” said Billy Payne, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Tournament. “The beauty of Augusta National and the rich history of the Masters have inspired the dreams of golfers for generations. Three years of collaboration with EA SPORTS has resulted in a game we feel presents a truly authentic Masters experience.”
“I am very happy and excited that the Masters Tournament is featured in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR game,” said Tiger Woods. “There are many new and unique elements in the game that will make everyone feel like they’re really competing at Augusta National. This is great for the sport and will connect a new audience with the Masters, a tournament I’ve been fortunate to experience since 1995. Continually growing the visibility of golf is important to attracting newcomers to the sport, and I agree that showcasing the Masters Tournament in the game will bring an entirely new dimension to that approach.”
New features and enhancements include:
- Masters Moments – Play through memorable, historic moments as players try to measure up against some of the sport’s greatest legends.
- Tiger at the Masters – Relive each of Tiger’s four wins at the Masters by attempting to equal or beat his scores in each round of the Tournament.
- The Caddie Experience – Behind every great golfer is a trusted and reliable caddie. Players will have a caddie by their side on every swing, providing strategic advice, from shot selection to reading greens, helping them become a more successful golfer.
- The Closest Thing to Being There – For the first time ever, EA SPORTS™ utilized a new state-of-the art laser scanning technology at Augusta National Golf Club to laser scan every hole featured in the game. This will provide players with the most authentic digital representation of the Tournament and Par 3 courses. Every tree, every azalea and every undulation in every green was recreated down to the smallest detail.
- Broadcast Presentation – Feel the emotion of every swing as called by the all-new commentary team of Jim Nantz and David Feherty, who headline a completely revamped TV broadcast presentation package.
- Career Mode – The all-new career mode will closely mirror the journey of an amateur golfer’s rise through the ranks and chase the title of Masters champion.
- New Players – Over 20 professional golfers to choose from, including Zach Johnson (2007 Masters Champion) and Bubba Watson (2010 Ryder Cup – Team USA).
- Championship Courses – Take on the best of the best on sixteen of the world’s most celebrated courses, including Augusta National Golf Club, Royal Melbourne Golf Club (Australia), Atlanta Athletic Club, TPC San Antonio, St Andrews Links and Pebble Beach Golf Links.
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters is developed in Orlando, Fla., by EA Tiburon and will retail for $59.99 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, $49.99 on the Wii, and the PlayStation 3 exclusive Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12 Collector’s Edition will be available for $69.99.
Tiger Woods will launch on March 29, 2011!